Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

When is my water bill due? 

Current charges are due and payable upon billing date.

When are delinquent fees assessed to my account? 

A 10% delinquency fee will be assesed to the account if bill if not paid by the 2nd to the last business day of the month. Fees are assesed on Delinquent Fee date as printed on your billing statement. Please note payment cut off time is 4:30 p.m.

How do I sign up for Bank Auto Draft Service? 

To sign up, complete the application here . Submit completed application in person, by mail, or email at along with a voided check or printed letter from your bank showing the account holder name, routing, and account number. Deposit slips are not acceptable. Your account must be paid in full before signing up. Auto draft payments will be scheduled to be debited from your bank account on the third Friday of the month. 

Once enrolled in bank auto draft, your billing/electronic statement will reflect “BANK DRAFT- (DATE)” on the payment coupon at the bottom of the page.

How do I start my water service account? 

A water service account with CMWD may be opened by either:

  • Calling the District’s Customer Service at (805) 649-2251 Ext.0.
  • Coming into the District Office, 1055 Ventura Ave., during business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday)

 When you call or come in to open an account, that account will be put in your name – you may not establish an account for another person.

 An application and a deposit is required when opening a new account for water service.  The application will be mailed to the address provided by you and must be filled out, signed and returned to the District Office within 30 business days of the service start date in order to avoid interruption of service. The deposit amount will be determined by meter size and will appear on the application. 

New property owners are required to provide proof of ownership.

 If you are a tennant starting service an owner authorization agreement form which can be found below and must be completed for initiation of water service by the property owner.

owner authorization agreement
How do I stop my water service account? 

A water service account with CMWD may be closed by calling (805) 649-2251, or by requesting in person at the District Office, there is no fee for closing your account. Any customer who vacates premises being served water by the District and fails to request that service be taken out of their name shall be held responsible for all water used on those premises as well as monthly service charges up until the time the District has actual notice.  Owners of the premises are responsible to pay Standby and Consumption Fee's until the property is sold.

When is my meter read? 

The meter is read on the first business day of every month via Radio Read. 

What number do I call to report a water leak? 

To report an emergency leak, please call: (805) 649-2251 Ext. 0
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

On weekends and after hour, please call our Answering Service, they will call our on-call personnel: (805) 649-2253

What happens after a water leak is reported to CMWD? 

The CMWD representative will dispatch a Customer Service Technician to the leak location based on the information given by the caller. During the investigation, our Technician will evaluate the source of the leak. If the leak is from the District's side of the meter, the District will take necessary action to repair the leak as soon as possible. If the leak is on the customer side, it is advised to contact a plumber.

Will my water be turned off when the repair crews work on the water lines? 

In some cases, it may be necessary to turn your water off while repairs are being performed. CMWD makes every effort in attempting to notify customers if a shutdown is planned.

What is CMWD's responsibility regarding repairing leaks at a water meter? 

CMWD is responsible for repair of leaks on the District’s side of the meter. Any pipe repairs on the customer side of the meter are the responsibility of the customer.

Will CMWD show me how to repair my leak? 

CMWD employees are not permitted to advise you on repairs to your plumbing system.

If my neighbor has a leak on his/her property, should I call CMWD to turn off their water? 

You should first attempt to contact your neighbor and inform them about their leak. If you are unable to contact your neighbor, please call the District. We will send out a CMWD representative to access the leak.

What payment options do you offer? 

The District offers a number of options to make paying your bill easy and convenient, including pay by mail, in person, online, pay by phone, pay by email or text, bank auto draft, and auto pay. For additional questions, contact us at: 805-649-2251 x 0 or email:

Visit our Payments Options page for more information.

What type of regional resources for assistance are available? 
  • Commuity Action of Ventura County  - You may request financial assistance towards utility bills by calling (805) 436-4021/(805) 436-4000 or by visiting:
  • Help of Ojai - (805) 646-5122
Temporary Water Service 

Metered water service can be temporarily provided from a fire hydrant in the vicinity of your project. Construction projects and other activities that need water service for a limited time period can benefit from this service. This service requires a Temporary Service Application (download below) to be filled out, a $100.00 installation fee and a $500.00 refundable deposit.

There will be an additional installation fee if you require the meter to be moved from the original location.There is a monthly stand-by fee charged regardless of water consumption. The stand-by fee is a flat $150.00 per month and water is billed at $4.00 per unit or HCF.  This information can also be found on the Temporary Service Application form. 

Temporary Service Application
How to read your bill 

We aim to make our billing statements easy to read and transparent. Below you will find a guide to each of the sections on monthly residential water bills.

This is a detailed guide on how to read a water bill, with annotations explaining each part of the statement.
Do you have a bill (leak) relief program? 

Yes the Districts offers a bill (leak) relief program.

For information regarding the program and to see if you qualify:

Bill Relief Program

If you qualify for bill/leak relief, please complete an application below. Completed application along with supporting documentation can either be dropped off at the District office or emailed to within 45 days of bill issuance date.

Bill Relief Application


What is the difference between auto draft and auto pay? 

Auto Draft - is automatically debited from your checking account every 3rd Friday of the month - See payment options for more details.

Auto Pay - allows you to schedule recurring payments using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American express, PayPal, Venmo, Amazon pay, or Google Pay account. This will require online registration.

If you are currently enrolled in Auto Draft and wish to sign up for Auto Pay, please contact or email our office to cancel Auto Draft service to avoid a double payment on your account.

To cancel Auto Draft service please complete the Request to Cancel Auto-Draft form and email to or drop off in person between 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Request to Cancel Auto-Draft form

 If you have any additional questions, please email the District at or contact our office at 805-649-2251 x 0.


Join our mailing list